Friday, October 7, 2011

Frightening Day 7: Christian Death "Cavity - First Communion"



Ok, I admit it, I'm biased in my love for some of these bands - Christian Death is one of them.

Like 45 Grave, they're another one of those early deathrock bands that came out of Los Angeles. I won't bother to tell their story, there is plenty of info out there already, like here, here and here.

Let's just say that for one of their key members, it didn't end happily, sadly.

Most of the attention that Christian Death gets is focused on their ill-fated genius front man and band founder Rozz Williams. All well and good, but I have to confess that I'm just as much a fan of the entire band's musicianship, song writing and overall style. These guys wrote great songs by any standard. The two albums of theirs that I'm most familiar with - Only Theatre of Pain and Catastrophe Ballet - are chock full of perfect, hook-laden, beautifully depressing tunes.


No comments: