Thursday, April 19, 2007

Buh-nee en Kli-ide

I don't remember how I chanced across this video of Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot performing the odd song "Bonnie and Clyde," but I'm very glad I did. It's grade A strangeness straight outta late 1960's France. I'm including it here because it's a cool piece of kitsch in its own right, but also because as a male-female duet it immediately reminded me of "Some Velvet Morning." How do Gainsbourg and Bardot match up against Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra? You be the judge! It's a tough one...

Say what you will about the song's high kitsch and camp quotient, I think the song's droney, jangly instrumentation is really great and sounds pretty damn fresh. I like the simple, patient arrangement too - it allows the melody to steadily dig in and take hold. The result is that, if you're like me, this song will get stuck in your head for an enjoyable week or so. Everywhere you go, "buh-nee en kliiiiiiide.... buh-nee en kliiii-iiiide." Warning: unless your partner appreciates the joke, you'll annoy the hell out of them.

No comments: